pain & temperature
V Trigeminal Nerve - Pain &
- explain to the patient that you will be touching
them with a sharp object. Reassure them that it is
disposable and has not been used on anyone else.
- for pain, use either a pin or the sharp end of a
broken tongue depressor.
- use a cold tuning fork to assess temperature. If
necessary, the tuning fork can be cooled by running
it under cold water.
- ask the patient to report whether they feel sharp
or dull or cold.
- ask the patient if the two sides feel the same.