V Trigeminal Nerve - Corneal
The corneal reflex allows an objective assessment of
facial sensation. The afferent limb is V1 of the trigeminal
nerve, the efferent limb is the facial or 7th cranial
- explain to the patient what you will be doing.
- avoid a visual threat response by asking the patient
to look up and to the opposite side.
- stimulate the cornea since the scleral conjunctiva
is less sensitive.
- touch the cornea lightly with a wisp of cotton,
observe the direct (same) eye and consensual (opposite
eye) blink in response to corneal stimulation.
- repeat on the opposite side.