III Oculomotor, IV Trochlear, VI Abducens
- the examiner places themself approximately 1 meter
in front of the patient.
- ask the patient to look to each side, up and down
following an "H"
- pursuit: ask the patient to follow a target such
as your finger or a pen with their eyes without moving
- pause at the ends of each direction of gaze to observe
- assess saccadic eye movements by having the patient
make quick horizontal and vertical eye movements.
- optokinetic nystagmus is performed by having the
patient follow a series of moving horizontal or vertical
stripes and observing for nystagmus.